This is an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Ecologist to join an enthusiastic team delivering projects to a wide range of clients across the UK. Located at our new North East offices, you will support on a range of types and sizes of projects, including major rail and infrastructure, urban regeneration and environmental enhancement schemes.
Reporting to the Business Manager for the North East, you’ll be working in a team in the delivery of a complete range of ecological projects to our wide ranging client base throughout the UK. While you’ll have good level of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills with opportunity to progress to a senior role within the team.
We will consider applicants with a wide range of experience, but a years’ proven track record in UK based ecology is highly desirable. Typical duties include, but not limited to:
- Conducting ecological desk studies and data searches
- Conducting preliminary ecological appraisals
- Conducting and leading on protected species surveys
- Data management and mapping
- Acting as Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW), including delivering contractor toolbox talks
- Developing and implementing mitigation and compensation design
- Contributing to / producing high quality ecological reports
- Understanding and producing risk assessment for site work
- Managing tasks and small / medium projects from inception to completion
Who we are and what we do
Ecus is a leader in the environmental sector and provides services in ecology, habitat management, consenting, carbon and sustainability, arboriculture, water environment, heritage, landscape design, EIA and ISO business management services.
With multiple regional business units and plans to extend our network even further, we have an overall aim of growing the company substantially over the coming years.
The sectors within which Ecus operates include; transport, energy, development and construction, utilities and government. We have a number of framework agreements and long term contracts with clients across all of these sectors.
The Ecus team has a wide range of technical expertise in environmental consulting. We seek to add to that team by recruiting professionals with relevant environmental skills who are committed to doing their best and with a track record of delivering for clients and for their colleagues.
Working at Ecus
Investing in our people
Whether you are an individual just starting your career or bringing years of experience with you, we support all employees in achieving their next career steps. Investing heavily in our employees and the most up to date technology, we ensure we remain at the forefront with our competitors.
Become part of our team and you’ll be working alongside technical experts who take pride in the quality of service we offer at every stage of the project lifecycle.
We are always looking for people who share our key values:
- Commitment and Excellence
- Accountability and partnership
- Challenge and Innovation
These are the values that support in making Ecus the business it is today. One that is client focused and able to provide the benefits of innovation through close, productive partnerships. This all adds up to a highly professional, forward thinking culture where people feel inspired to look for ways to improve and continuously raise standards, creating a constant drive to grow the organisation and a robust commercial mind-set. Whilst the work at Ecus can be challenging and comes with high expectations, there is an abundance of training / mentor guidance to support you.
Essential / Desirable Skills and Experience
We are looking for
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject
- Member (or eligible) of CIEEM
- Experienced at undertaking ecological / protected species surveys
- The ability to produce accurate, high quality ecological appraisal reports
- Holder of a full driving licence
- Flexibility to work away from home and during antisocial hours as / when required
- Working towards or holder of a protected species licence holder beneficial
- Knowledge of / or experience with Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG)/Biometrics, habitat creation, design ecology, ecology mitigation
- Experience of large infrastructure projects, specifically rail work (including Personal Track Safety (PTS) trained) desirable
- Ecological specialism in birds and/or botany
What we provide in return
Ecus is an equal opportunities employer, we provide a supportive friendly working environment, offer competitive salaries, flexible working and we are proud to have gained Investors in People ‘Silver’ status.
We offer a competitive benefits package, which includes contributory pension scheme, healthcare benefit package, professional annual membership fees paid, employee benefit scheme i.e. Cycle to Work and Perkbox and 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays (pro rata for part time employees). All applicants must demonstrate their right to work in the UK.
How to Apply
Everything you need to know to get your application started
There are two ways to apply for this role, through the application form below, or by sending your information to us via email.
Applications can be made via email to email@example.com and should include a CV and covering letter outlining the position applied for along with a portfolio (if applicable) to demonstrate your range of technical skills and experience.
Supporting file requirements
For CVs, covering letters and portfolios, keep the files to less than 10MB each or include a sharing download link if they exceed this size.